Maintaining good oral hygiene is always important, and even more so while you are wearing braces. The brackets and wires of braces make brushing and flossing more cumbersome – they also make it easier for food particles and bacteria to become stuck, increasing your risk for tooth decay, discoloration and gum disease.
Dr. Richter and the staff of Richter Orthodontics in Greeley, CO take time during your visits with us to educate you on the most effective ways to keep your smile clean and healthy both during treatment and for years to come! We want you to enjoy your new smile for as long as possible and emphasize the long term benefits of good oral hygiene.
Oral Hygiene Tips from Richter Orthodontics
Brushing and flossing daily may be a little challenging at first, but it is important to maintain this daily routine to avoid dental problems. Here are some quick tips for proper technique:
- Brushing: brush twice a day with the toothbrush at a straight angle, using circular motions to remove food particles and plaque.
- Flossing: dental floss can be pulled under the archwire for effective daily flossing using a floss threader.
Oral Hygiene Products We Recommend
- Proxabrush Interdental Toothbrush– A proxabrush is an interdental (between the teeth) toothbrush that you may use to help clean the tight spaces underneath and around your wires and braces brackets. Be sure to use a proxabrush gently to avoid damaging your wires. This special brush will aid you in properly cleaning your braces, and ensure healthier teeth and gums.
- Peroxyl: a hydrogen peroxide antiseptic mouth rinse, Peroxyl will reduce inflammation to your gums and cheeks. Peroxyl helps to prevent infection and decrease irritation that may develop from your braces. Rinse your mouth with two teaspoons of Peroxyl up to four times a day after you brush your teeth. Just like using peroxide on scraped skin, Peroxyl helps the inside of your mouth heal more quickly. Peroxyl can be used for general irritation caused by your braces or for canker sores, cheek bites or other minor temporary injuries to the gums.
- Phos-Flur: a topical fluoride, Phos-Flur is a sodium fluoride gel that helps prevent tooth decay while you are wearing braces by killing bacteria and replacing minerals in tooth enamel that have been exposed to harmful acids. Phos-flur doesn’t replace your regular morning and nighttime brushing routines. Place a small strip of Phos-Flur on a toothbrush and apply it to your teeth for one minute and spit it out. Do not eat or drink for 30 minutes after using Phos-Flur, as it is important that the active ingredient stays on the teeth for 30 minutes.